Communities 1st deliver a Handy Person Service designed to help those 60+ or on benefits, living in Hertsmere and St Albans & District to help with tasks they are unable to carry out themselves.
We are looking for Handy Person Volunteers to help us help our community. Working alongside staff to undertake various light practical duties including:
- Changing lightbulbs
- Changing batteries in smoke detectors
- Measuring up
- Shopping for materials
- Moving furniture
- Putting together flat packs
- Light gardening duties
- Small carpentry tasks
- Basic plumbing
- Installing shelves
... and any other relevant duties that may arise.
We are a busy service and are looking for some friendly and caring volunteers to help fulfil demand.
We can offer flexible hours which suit both you and our clients' needs.
If you have a few hours to spare and would enjoy doing a bit of DIY whilst helping people who would really struggle to manage it themselves, please give us a call to discuss this opportunity further.
No formal qualifications are required to volunteer with us but some experience is necessary for this role. A good knowledge of DIY and a commitment to high standards is very desirable.
We welcome volunteers from all backgrounds and abilities.
References will be required from applications and will be taken up.
Volunteers must be over 16.
This role involves working with vulnerable adults and is subject to an enhances DBS clearance.
Benefits for the Volunteer:
- Once a number of sessions have been completed we will be happy to provide a reference.
- Gain practical and interpersonal skills.
- Out of pocket expenses reimbursed.
- Satisfaction of helping people to improve their environment.
- Positive work environment, part of the friendly Communities 1st team.
- Training will be offered in Equality and Diversity and Customer Service.