Better Business - Working to Support You
Communities 1st runs ‘Better Business’, a CSR/ESG project - aimed at encouraging businesses to engage in the local community by providing support to our charity members.
Our members could benefit in a number of different ways. You might need a large number of volunteers to support at an event or on a project. You might need advice on legal compliance or policy writing. Perhaps your staff or volunteers would benefit from a refresher workshop on book-keeping skills but you don’t have the time or resources to provide this yourself?
We will be delivering a range of activities including;
- one-to-one work shadowing
- small group forums and training courses on a range of skills and topics
- networking opportunities
- access to potential Trustees
- access to larger numbers of volunteers for hands on events
We are seeking your input, as our members, as to what would be the most beneficial support for you and your organisation. We’d especially like to hear about any areas of skill or expertise you’d like us to cover in the group forums. With this information we will approach local business to source the knowledge, expertise and support that is required the most.
To find out more about Better Business, and to tell us what areas of support you’d like to access, please contact Rob Varney at email@example.com or on 020 3940 4875
Recently published research carried out by the Chartered Institute of Personnel & Development (CIPD) surveyed over 1,000 HR professionals and found that:
- 65% of employees would be more likely work for an employer who encourages volunteering.
- 66% of employees said their communication skills had improved as a result of volunteering.
- 59% of employees said their confidence had improved as a result of volunteering.
There are many benefits to encouraging your employees to volunteer. Employee volunteers improve the company's relationships with its stakeholders, with the local community in which it operates and importantly for the business, volunteering can bring new skills and ideas to the workplace in addition to increasing profits.
The CIPD's research found that employer supported volunteering is most successful when:
- Businesses think about what skills and staff they can offer before looking for volunteering opportunities.
- Businesses are clear with their staff and the charity about what they can offer and what volunteering will involve.
- Businesses prioritise volunteering and make sure their staff are bought into the idea to avoid last minute cancellations.
How can Hertsmere and St Albans Volunteer Centre help your business?
We have a wealth of voluntary sector knowledge and are ideally placed to work with you to find the right opportunity for your business and staff - regardless of how big or small a venture you have in mind.
We work across Hertsmere and St Albans so we can match your staff to local charities anywhere in the district.
We have four great Employer supported volunteer programmes to suit the level of involvement you're looking for.
Finding the right opportunity takes time and valuable resources - so let us do the hard work for you! The support we offer can be as individual as you are, because we understand that every business has different needs and priorities. Whether you are looking for an opportunity for one member of staff, or are planning a large scale team challenge, contact us via email firstname.lastname@example.org today to find out how we can help your business or give us a call on 020 3559 3559.