About the opportunity
We involve volunteers in a variety of roles and have something to suit all skills, talents, interests and availability. You will be valued and supported in whichever role you decide to undertake and the chances are
you'll have fun too!
Communities 1st are dedicated to building upon the strengths of the community and we aim to promote independence, health & well-being and address issues surrounding social isolation. To achieve this, we work with other voluntary, health and care organisations to create an innovative combination of activities for all ages, backgrounds, cultures and abilities.
We require volunteers to assist with planning, organising and running events. May involve some evening or weekend work. Anyone who can commit time no matter how limited will be appreciated.
Volunteering will provide you with valuable work experience and offer the opportunity of a reference for your CV. In addition to this, it can be the ideal platform to showcase your skills.
About the Organisation
Since being created in 2009 from a merger of two community organisations within Hertsmere, Communities 1st has grown into a successful charitable organisation with strong links to the communities in which we work.
Communities 1st aims to develop and promote a healthier and more thriving community by supporting and enabling people to become more actively involved in the community. We encourage individual volunteering and support groups working to achieve benefits for our community.
Our specific projects have been supported by reputable funders such as the National Lottery, European Social Fund, Hertfordshire County Council, Hertsmere Borough Council and Affinity Sutton Housing as well as many local businesses.
We involve volunteers in a variety of roles and have something to suit all skills, talents, interests and availability. You will be valued and supported in whichever role you decide to undertake and the chances are you'll have fun too!
What are they looking for?
- Fun, outgoing, love a challenge - then volunteering with our events team is for you.
- Committed to working with the community with a passion for helping others less fortunate.
- Well organized, pro-active and able to deliver tasks efficiently.
- Good time-management skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft word and excel
- To show professionalism at all levels and in all environments
- Strong team player
- Ability to work independently and ask for clarification when needed
- Driving license and own transport desirable, but not essential.
- We are always on the look-out for talented photographers and videographers to capture the fun too
- To assist with the set-up of events such as room decoration, temporary signage and other associated tasks
- Meet and greet customers and direct to facilities and fire exits as appropriate
- Assist in promoting activities and events
- Commit at least 1 day per month
- No formal qualifications or prior guiding experience are required to volunteer with us.
We welcome volunteers from all backgrounds and abilities.
A full charity induction will be given before the volunteer starts with us and ongoing training is offered depending on which event you are working on.
Home based and in your local area.
References will be required from applications and will be taken up.
Please apply asap as applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Volunteers MUST be over 16 (or be accompanied by an adult if under 16).
A minimum of six months commitment is required.
- Once a number of sessions have been completed we will be happy to provide a reference.
- Gain basic office skills, with an opportunity to progress into more varied roles.
- Out of pocket expenses reimbursed.
- Satisfaction of helping people
- Positive work environment, part of the friendly Community Hertsmere team
- Training in Equality and Diversity, Customer Service