About the opportunity
A 'Digital Champion' is someone who supports family, friends, colleagues, customers or people in their community to enjoy all the benefits that Basic Online Skills can bring.
Are you IT savvy with skills to share? Can you help those who aren’t so confident to start using the net, their smart phones and tablets?
Want to help your local community with Computers and a Cuppa - a project that gives older people the opportunity to explore Information Technology through fun learning from each other?
Communities 1st are looking for people in Hertsmere to train as Digital Champions to support this initiative which provides a social and informal environment for older people to gain confidence on various IT equipment and learn together whilst socialising.
Professional skills would be welcomed but are not essential – we are looking for friendly, proactive volunteers who have an interest in supporting people and are able to help get this group off the ground, and support/get involved on the day of the sessions.
Why are Digital Champions important?
Digital Champions are the key to creating and sustaining successful digital skills/projects and programmes to support others within their community.
What will I be doing?
Well, you don't need to be an IT whizz or guru to become a Digital Champion within your community, you just need a bit of spare time and enthusiasm to support others to experience the benefits of the internet and digital technology.
About the Organisation
Since being created in 2009 from a merger of two community organisations within Hertsmere, Communities 1st has grown into a successful charitable organisation with strong links to the communities in which we work.
Communities 1st aims to develop and promote a healthier and more thriving community by supporting and enabling people to become more actively involved in the community. We encourage individual volunteering and support groups working to achieve benefits for our community.
Our specific projects have been supported by reputable funders such as the National Lottery, European Social Fund, Hertfordshire County Council, Hertsmere Borough Council and Affinity Sutton Housing as well as many local businesses.
We involve volunteers in a variety of roles and have something to suit all skills, talents, interests and availability. You will be valued and supported in whichever role you decide to undertake and the chances are you'll have fun too!
What are they looking for?
We are looking for someone with the following skills and experience
- Committed to working with the community with a passion for helping others less fortunate.
- Comfortable with their own abilities and knowledge of being able to get online.
- Able to use computers, search the internet and send emails
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Good interpersonal skills
- Flexible approach and willingness to work as part of a team
- Ability to work independently and ask for clarification when needed
- Be patient, reliable and organised.
- Able to explain things easily and clearly.
- Commit at least 1 day per month
Digital Champions will be required to help learners within their local community possibly at a library or other communal place.
No formal qualifications or prior guiding experience are required to volunteer with us.
We welcome volunteers from all backgrounds and abilities.
A full charity induction will be given before the volunteer starts with us and ongoing training is offered depending on which event you are working on.
Home based and in your local area.
References will be required from applications and will be taken up.
Please apply asap as applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Volunteers MUST be over 16 (or be accompanied by an adult if under 16).
A minimum of six months commitment is required.
- Once a number of sessions have been completed we will be happy to provide a reference.
- Gain basic office skills, with an opportunity to progress into more varied roles.
- Out of pocket expenses reimbursed.
- Satisfaction of helping people
- Positive work environment, part of the friendly Community Hertsmere team
- Training in Equality and Diversity, Customer Service