Making a Difference Volunteer Update
Last week we held volunteer celebration events in St Albans, Borehamwood, Hoddesdon, Stevenage and Bishops Stortford. It was great to thank our volunteers in person for all their hard work, and to share stories and experiences. For anyone who was unable to join, be sure to check out our thank you video!
We are excited to announce that Communities 1st have been nominated for the best customer service award at the SME Hertfordshire Business Awards 2022. You can vote in the Business Awards here.
Now that summer is around the corner, we are looking for volunteer drivers to help us on day trips and with the Shopper Bus Service. If this is something you can help us out with, please email us.
Our British Sign Language course is happening next week on the 22nd of June! Come along if you would like to begin learning sign language and communicate more effectively with those living with deafness and hearing loss. Sign up here
Thank you again for your commitment, skills and experience.
Celebrating With our Volunteers!
Last week we held our volunteer celebrations in honour of all our volunteers, who have played an integral part in helping us deliver our services over the last year. It was lovely to meet you all and chat about your volunteering experiences. Thank you to everyone who came!
Fun on St Albans Trip!
We took residents for a day trip to St Albans town and Verulamium lakes. Some of the group visited the Wednesday market, and others went to the lakes for a hot drink and a chat.
We will be running lots more day trips for vulnerable residents in Three Rivers and Hertsmere, and will need volunteer drivers, as well as volunteers to help people board the bus and chat to them. If you can help, email us or call 020 8207 5055.
NHS Staff Visit Hatfield Galleria
Last week a group of nurses from the Lister hospital visited the Galleria Hatfield. They were given a few hours to explore the shops and restaurants before being dropped back to Stevenage at the end of the day.
To help out as a buddy or on a day trip, email: email@example.com, or call 020 8207 5055.
Volunteer Training Opportunities
We have lots of training opportunities available for those who would like to expand their skillset or try something new!
Gambling and related Harms - 17 June - 11am - 12:30pm
Basic BSL Training Sessions - 22 June 10am - 12pm
Dementia Friends Information Session - 30 June - 11am - 12pm
You can register for all our future training sessions through our online events calendar.
Update for Vaccinaction / Hospital Volunteers
We will be providing the minibuses for a mobile community vaccination bus, that will be operating from different locations across the county. The new shift called 'Community Activity' will soon be available on your dashboard, and will involve setting up and dismantling a gazebo outside the bus.
The volunteer role description for Bishop Stortford hospital is available here.
If you have an admin role, you will need to watch this YouTube training video before you can attend your shift.
- New ID badges are currently being printed and can be collected from our office or posted to you. If you require a new badge, please email firstname.lastname@example.org@communities1st.org.uk
Volunteering Opportunites: Legends Festival St albans
Legends Festival is looking for volunteers to help at the check in kiosk and to collect donations for Marie Curie on the 30th of July. Shifts are from 11:30am-3:30pm, or from 3:30pm to 7:30pm.
All volunteers will be given 2 free tickets, one for themselves so they can enjoy the music and festivities for the rest of the day and one for a friend or family member to join them.
If you would like to sign up for this opportunity please go to your volunteering dashboard and look under community activity shifts.
Shopping delivery, prescription collection, and pulse oximetry volunteers
- To claim expenses please sign up to our dashboard and upload your expenses here, in order to speed up this process. Click here and create a login using the same email address that you originally signed up with. You will then see a list of your completed and pending activities.
- Please submit these expense claims within the same week that you carried out your shop, and if appropriate, provide a photo of your receipt. If an expense is not claimed in a timely manner it can lead to a client going into arrears, which can cause them stress and confusion. We appreciate your help in this matter.
- If this is your first shop you will first need to send in your bank details to Linda at email@example.com, so you can be reimbursed.
Vaccination centre volunteers
- If you haven't already uploaded your bank details, please do so through your online dashboard.
- If you are experiencing financial hardship because of your volunteering expenses, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will reimburse you as soon as possible.
Drivers, litter pickers and other roles
- You will have been sent an expense claim form when you confirmed your job. To claim your expenses please complete this form and return it to the sender.